Sustainable Development Goals provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. The making of Uamuzi App incorporates SDG goal 5; Gender Equality and SDG goal 16; Peace, Justice and Strong institutions. The platform has participated actively in the SDGs and has brought the voices of the citizens to their representatives on good governance and women empowerment.
In Kenya, the SDGs have been linked with the country’s development plan, Vision 2030 whose main pillars include:
The strength of the SDGs requires active citizenry in both National and County Governments to take specific actions in order to achieve its goals and targets. Uamuzi App acts as an enabler for citizen engagement in the programs that are required to achieve these targets. The Platform endeavors to promote strong institutions by encouraging inclusivity from people of different backgrounds, communities, tribes, age, abilities and gender from the communities. Uamuzi App encourages freedom of speech in having conversations with the citizens and leaders of the same Ward, Constituency and County. This is aimed at promoting good governance and delivery of devolved functions in all the 47 counties, thus turning policy into sustainable action
Seeks to achieve gender equality, empower all women and girls. There is growing recognition of the untapped capacity and talents of women and women’s leadership. The company notes that parliamentarians comprise of a significantly small percentage of women. The SDGs indicators measure progress towards gender equality in part by the proportion of women in parliamentary seats. Strengthening the use of Uamuzi App for information and communications will promote the empowerment of women and girls to seek leadership elective positions.
Uamuzi Tech intends to provide training for women political candidates to help build their capacities, offer voter and civic education and sensitization campaigns on gender equality and inclusion. The positive impact of women in politics is undeniable.
Former UN Secretary - Kofi Annan noted, “Study after study has taught us, there is no tool for development more effective than the empowerment of women. No other policy is as likely to raise economic productivity or to reduce child and maternal mortality. No other policy is as sure to improve nutrition and promote health, including the prevention of HIV/AIDS. No other policy is as powerful in increasing the chances of education for the next generation.”
This will guarantee their full and effective participation in equal opportunities for leadership, advocacy at the National and County level to help in decision-making in political, economic and public life.
- Accordingly, the meaningful participation of women in national, local, and community leadership roles has become an important focus on global development policy and agenda. Women's political participation results in tangible gains for democracy, including greater responsiveness to citizen needs, increased cooperation across party and ethnic lines, and a more sustainable future. Most women shy away from politics due to insufficient funds to run their campaigns and also lack the political muscle to compete with their male competitors in holding rallies and selling their agenda. Many of them prefer to carry out the door to door campaigns. Upon signing up on Uamuzi App, they will have the same audience with other aspirants running for the same position thus putting everyone on an equal level with the opportunity to sell their blueprint agenda (manifesto) to their electorates.
- Women will have equal access to information and their leaders on the platform as every other user. They can give their opinions and feedback during discussions on policy formulation and implementation of laws. The adoption and strengthening of sound policies and enforceable legislation will promote gender equality and empower women and girls at all levels. Women’s participation in politics helps advance gender equality and affects both the range of policy issues that get considered and the types of solutions that are proposed. Research indicates that whether a legislator is male or female has a distinct impact on their policy priorities. There is also strong evidence that as more women are elected to office, there is a corollary increase in policy making that emphasizes quality of life and reflects the priorities of families, women, and ethnic and racial minorities.
Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The organization strives to ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making at every level of governance in the country.
This is through:
- Citizens have a voice in decision making as they have access to their representatives. They will take part in development of policies affecting them directly. This is made possible through our able group chat which has brought about freedom of association and speech, as well as capacities to participate constructively.
- Leaders will be accountable to the public since they will refer to their promises made during the election period which is in their manifestos. The citizens will also have an opportunity to be part of their leader’s development plans from the initial to the final stage making accountability and transparency possible and proper management of resources.
- People from different tribes, political party affiliation, religion, and gender among others can have equal access to information and their leaders. Some of the most progressive form of citizen engagement identified is when people come together to engage with one another, exchange ideas, concerns and to negotiate an agreed approach to address issues they are confronted with.
- There will be a generation of new emerging leaders especially from the vulnerable group i.e. the Youth as they appreciate Uamuzi App that recognizes and appreciates in raising issues affecting them. This type of leader will be built on consensus, not division. A leader who can draw on the widest range of talents and expertise, not the narrow circles of power. They build on empowerment and engagement, because lasting change only happens if people make it happen.
The marginalized groups in the community are also included in decision making since they play important roles as users and managers of their surrounding resources. These comprise of Youth and People with Disabilities. Democracy is strengthened when it includes the marginalized groups and this creates great civilizations.